Welcome to the 287th edition of Android Apps Weekly! These are the big headlines of the past week:
- Office Depot spent $ 25 million on fake antivirus scans this week. The company took a misleading form that led to people paying $ 300 for what ultimately became an unnecessary repair. The program ran from 2009 to 2016 before it finally stopped. Another company, Support.com, also paid $ 10 million in the survey.
- Minit is coming to mobile soon. It is a fairly unique game. Players only have one minute to play. You do as many things as possible in that time span and the game ends afterwards. Minit saw great success on console and PC, so we expect that the game will also perform well on mobile devices. We do not yet have details about the launch date or game prizes. Stay with it for more!
- Snapchat & # 39; s bit Android rebuild will be rolled out this year. We sat down with a few members of the Snapchat development team to talk about the behind the scenes of that huge venture. They talked about identifying the problem, how to fix it, about their previous code base problems, and about a host of other topics. Click on the link to read the full story!
- Google had some good things happen this week. To begin with, Google Duplex is finally being implemented for non-Pixel phones in the United States. The Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus, OnePlus 6 and OnePlus 6T are among the first to receive reports. In addition, John Legend's voice officially became available to Google Assistant earlier this week. It is a long time coming for that.
- Google also had bad news this week. Google+ was officially closed on April 2, 2019 as planned. You can still download your old data if you want, but access to the site is now gone. In addition, Inbox by Gmail was also officially closed on 2 April 2019. The Gmail team already ported a large number of Inbox functions directly to Gmail. However, it will never be quite the same as Inbox. Those involved can view our selection of the best Google Inbox alternatives here.
With Lightbeam you can share your screen with other Android devices. It makes every app a collaborative experience without much hassle. You basically connect with other Lightbeam users and they see what happens on your screen or vice versa. It's a bit of a niche app and we can't think of a widespread use that you would need from it. However, it worked reasonably well in our tests, although it could use some stability improvements. It is still early, but this one shows many promises.
Price: Free / $ 4.99
Grand Mountain Adventure is a new ski game for Android. It features surprisingly beautiful graphics, simple controls and highly satisfying game mechanisms. It is an open world game and that means no missions, no enclosed areas and no specific quests. You just ski through the wilderness. Players also come across things such as deer, bears and other NPC skiers and snowboarders, along with potentially deadly avalanches. It has a lower graphics mode for devices with a low specification, so most phones should play this well.
Holey Light is the latest app from Chainfire, developer of many amazing things and also Hidey Hole. This is another app specifically for the Galaxy S10, S10e and S10 Plus. With this you can turn your perforation hole into a warning light. They are a small number of barebones and only work if they are connected or the screen is switched on. The function to use it on the battery with the screen off is still in the making. Yet this is clearly a good idea for S10 owners that we had to write about it. It may be useful now, but it will be much better in a few updates if all functions work correctly. Until then it is in beta and it is also completely free.
The Elder Scrolls: Blades is a new promotional RPG in the Elder Scrolls universe. Players can create a character from basically every race in the franchise. In addition, players look for different materials, bring their character to a higher level and rebuild a city that was raped by a real jerk queen. Bethesda actually opened the Early Access Beta version for everyone without invitations or waiting. So you can download the app and play immediately. Please note that this game is not yet complete and that all progress will transfer to the full game when it is started. Lots of fun!
Spark Email has taken the opportunity to start while closing Inbox by Gmail. It is a good move and luckily the app itself is also pretty good. The app has a lot of desirable functions, including a snooze function, a send-later function, reminders, various customization options, email lock, smart searches and a smart priority tool. It supports most current email clients such as Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo and many others. It is also completely free. Google Play reviews complain here and there about a few bugs, but nothing that seems overly serious to us.
If we have missed news, updates or releases of major Android apps and games, you can tell us in the comments! You can also click here to view our latest podcasts!