Although the dark mode originally appeared in the Windows 10 anniversary update that was released in 2016, a more recent update has extended this mode throughout the system, including File Manager. It's just easier for the eyes – especially when working in low light conditions – by replacing all white backgrounds with gray or black.
In this article we show you step by step how to enable dark mode in Windows 10, Microsoft Edge browser and Microsoft Office.
Keep in mind that dark mode does not change the background of your desktop, but makes the overall interface darker. It also does not change web page backgrounds, such as Google, or desktop programs & apps that do not support interface adjustments.
First, let's start turning on dark mode in Windows 10.
1. Click the Start button and then select the "gear" icon on the left side of the Start menu. This opens the settings app.
2. Select personalization.
3. Select colors on the menu on the right.
4. Scroll down to Choose your default app mode in the panel on the right.
5. Select Dark.
Setting the dark mode of Windows 10 does not affect the Microsoft Edge browser, so you must manually darken the interface. Follow these steps:
1. Click on the icon with three dots is located in the top right corner (Settings and more).
2. Click settings in the drop-down menu.
3. Switch to the in the drop-down menu Dark option found under Choose a theme in the To adjust section.
Like Microsoft Edge, turning on dark mode in Windows 10 does not change the overall appearance of your favorite Microsoft Office apps such as Word, Excel and more. You must manually darken the display using the following steps:
1. Open an Office app. As you can see, we use Word for this example.
2. Select Account on the menu on the left. If you are in a document, click File at the top and then scroll down Account on the next page.
3. The standard Office theme is Colorful. Change this setting to Dark gray or Black.
This is how you switch on dark mode in Windows 10! Consult these manuals for more tips and tricks for Windows 10: